Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week 7 Storytelling: Kushinada Tames the Serpent


~

Kushinada’s mother and father had told stories about the gods many times over. She and her seven sisters had learned about the marriage of Izanagi and Izanami, the gods tasked with creating all of Japan and its islands. About the births of Amaterasu and Susanoo, the celestial gods who controlled the sun and the rain, and about their feuding.

“Don’t be afraid of the thunder,” Kushinada’s mother would tell her. “The restless skies only mean Susanoo and Amaterasu are fighting, as siblings do.”

When summer storms brought lightning and floods down upon her family’s rice fields, she wondered what it would be like to have the power of rain and lightning at her fingertips.

On clear days, she could see miles of lonely sage-green valley stretching in all directions. When the sky poured down rain, it wrapped the mountain in an intimate haze. Water rustled the cottage's mossy roof, fell down to the leaves of the verdant rice crops, pooled into the water standing at their roots.

One day, as she stood in the midst of a downpour, she spoke, “Is there really someone out there?”

And a voice answered, “My name is Susanoo.”

~

On Kushinada’s fifteenth birthday, a monstrous serpent appeared in her family’s rice fields. The beast’s eyes pulsed cherry-red. His white underbelly split into nine white trails on the undersides of its nine necks. The beast was so massive its back could’ve been mistaken for mountains. Forgotten bronze brambles grew over his black scales, caught and forgotten.

“I am Orochi,” he hissed, his many coils fencing the cottage. “And this mountain is mine. If you don’t offer me a sacrifice, I’ll raze your fields and destroy anyone who dares to escape alive.”

Kushinada’s father, the son of the god who really presided over this mountain, protested. But, before Kushinada’s eyes, her oldest sister stepped out and declared, “I will sacrifice myself to save my family.”

After Orochi vanished with her, she was never seen again.

~

As Kushinada grew and the serpent appeared again and again, she began to desire this power that turned the sky into churning storms. Her parents grew weaker, and with each year, Orochi returned to make off with another sacrifice. By the time Kushinada was twenty-two years old, her seven sisters were dead. The waning powers of her mother and father, minor gods themselves, had done nothing to shield them against the beast that plagued them.

Kushinada would be next--her death was imminent. Though she was nowhere near as powerful as the celestial gods, she refused to die on Orochi's terms.

On the eve of the fateful day, Kushinada loosed one of her wooden sandals. Weaving a wildflower into its straps, she dropped it into a swollen stream and let it be carried away.

~

On Kushinada’s 23rd birthday, her parents dressed her in her most beautiful kimono and wept, waiting for Orochi’s arrival.

What came walking through their rice fields, however, wasn’t any kind of beast, but a tall man with long, black hair and a sword at his hip. In one hand, he carried a flower-wrapped sandal.

Kushinada’s father, sensing the man’s divine power, bowed low. “My lord,” he said, “I am the son of this mountain’s protector. Please, what brings you here? I’ve never seen any person, god or mortal, in these lonely mountains before.”

The man nodded in acknowledgement. “Please, stand.” He didn’t seem concerned with the minor god in front of him. Instead, Kushinada caught his eye, and he stroked his chin curiously. “What has you all so upset?”

“My lord, we mourn the loss of our last daughter. Year after year, Orochi appears to devour another of our children. Kushinada is the only one we have left, and soon, we’ll lose her, too.”

The man said to Kushinada, “Even though you’ve never seen my face, we’ve met many times. I wouldn’t let a friend be sacrificed to a monster.” He turned to face Kushinada’s father. “Kind stranger, I’ll slay the serpent Orochi. In return, allow me to marry your daughter.”

Relieved, her father said, “Of course, if such a task is possible for you, certainly Kushinada will be in good hands. But who are you? What is your name?”

“His name is Susanoo,” Kushinada said.

~

She waited while the battle between Orochi and Susanoo raged. They had been fighting for days, but each of Orochi’s eight heads was more savage than the last. The thorns clinging to its hide leached Susanoo’s energy away with each brush of skin against scale. Storms raged above, but every lightning strike seemed invigorate the beast.

Soon, the onslaught forced Susanoo to retreat for a short while so he could catch his breath. His sword had been tangled irretrievably in the briars growing from Orochi's scales. The beast’s eight necks swung this way and that, searching for Kushinada.

“Where are you, morsel?” he bellowed, teeth snapping and tails lashing.

Kushinada emerged from the rice fields. With a polite bow, she said, “Great serpent, would you fulfill my last request, and have a drink with me?”

Orochi laughed. “Bold move. Fine—if you brought enough sake to make me drunk, this fight still wouldn’t be any more difficult.”

With each mouth, he took a drink of sake, brewed with rice from Kushinada’s family’s own fields. However, Kushinada had added a powerful sedative. By the time Orochi came to, she had strapped his necks with bridles, and his back with a saddle. She held Susanoo’s sword.

“What do you think you’re doing, girl?” Susanoo roared.

She heaved the blade over her head and brought it down, slicing into Orochi’s tail. He howled. From his flesh, she pulled out a different sword—sleek and black, it flashed with a rainbow of colors when she unsheathed it.

“I believe I’ve been used,” Susanoo said to himself, seeing Kushinada drop his old sword and mount Orochi’s back.

~

Some legends say that, on stormy summer nights, Kushinada can be seen hurtling through the skies on a serpent’s back, brandishing a black sword. The beast’s roars echo like thunder, and its eight necks blaze like white lightning.

Some say Susanoo follows after her, but he hasn’t caught up with her yet. 


In the original story, Susanoo happens upon Kushinada and her parents right before they’re about to give her over to Orochi. In my version, Kushinada has prayed to/spoken with him before, but in the original, it’s a chance encounter. In the original, Susanoo outwits and kills the serpent who has eaten all seven sisters. In return, Kushinada marries him. In my version, Susanoo’s bride-to-be tames the serpent instead. She does so by tricking Orochi into drinking sake—which Susanoo does in the original—and then binding Orochi and using Susanoo’s sword to cut off his tail. So, having saved herself, Kushinada takes Susanoo's place as the deity of summer storms. Kushinada herself is a minor goddess, but the serpent (along with the divine sword in its tail) will function as her new divine tool: it transports her around on its back, its roars are her source of thunder, and its eight long necks could evoke an appearance of white lightning.

I chose this story to rewrite because I love stories with dragons, serpents, and other beasts. I like heroes who slay dragons, but I like heroes who ride dragons even more. In the first draft, Susanoo was going to die in the fight, but by the time I had written up to the ending, that seemed heartless. I liked the idea of an implied love story with an ambiguous ending, so I let him live.

I removed all reference to Kushinada being a princess. She was a princess in the story, but didn't seem to have a kingdom, so the title seemed to reference her parents being gods. I preferred the idea that she and her family were utterly isolated, so for this story, she'll be a minor goddess, but not named a princess.

Sources:
"The Eight Forked Serpent of Koshi" from Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney
Wikipedia: Yamata no Orochi 

Image:
Goddess Riding Turtle by hakurama01

7 comments:

  1. I love the story! A Woman that can save herself always makes a story ten times better! I like how you didn't stop at he slaying the beast but you actually made her make it her slave! I have to say I like your story better than the original! It really shows how bad a$$ she is when you go to describe that she is not a in any way a god but won't die without a fight. I love the story and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really an awesome story to read! The different time periods you wrote about came together well and were explained with appropriate length for each one. The detail you gave about Orochi really helped me image what the serpent looked like and added to his character because his sheer size made it seem like nothing could be done to stop him. I am a little confused about the end of the story though. Does she not want to be with Susanoo at the end of the story? It seems as though she deceived him in the end. I would have also liked to see more of the conversation between the princess and Susanoo just because you talked as though they had a deep relationship. I saw that he introduced himself at the beginning, but I couldn't grasp how deep of a relationship they actually had from that one time. Overall, really enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taylor! Awesome story! I love your take on the Japanese tales. I like that you didn't put the words "author's note" right before your note... because it's obvious that we all know exactly what this note is, especially when you begin it with the words, "In the original story..." I may try this myself! I love that you used so much dialogue. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative take on this myth! I love how you set up the characters and the plot. You really made it your own and I didn't feel like I was reading a retelling. I love the twist at the end as well. It was not surprising though, because you set up Kushinada to be a really strong character. This was a really good story and I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was expecting your story to generally follow the original in ending, but I was pleasantly and wonderfully surprised that Kushinada was the one to “slay” the beast and save herself. The first scene where the rain/Susanoo answers her was brilliant and I was excited to read the ending. Your little foreshadowing moments were awesome (even thought I did not know it at the time). I loved it! It was written beautifully, and I actually read it three times I loved it so much.
    I really liked how ambiguous the ending/love story was, and from the ending sentences seems like it is a cat and mouse game of love in a way. I interpreted Susanoo’s words about being used as if he was impressed by her and how she tricked even him. This would create a sense of respect which could turn into something more (wink wink)! When she answered her father’s question, I also perceived it as if saying the name of a crush or someone you are in awe of.
    I honestly cannot think of anything to add your story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Taylor, what an awesome story! I was drawn in immediately with all the details and imagery you provided the readers from the beginning. I thought it was a clever idea to start with a little background information by having Kushinada's mom tell her stories. I haven't read the original story so I really didn't know what to expect. However, your author's note did a really good job of filling in the blanks and showing me how the original story related to your own. I thought having Kushinada tame the beast was really empowering and enjoyed the deviation from the original story where Susanoo ends up killing the serpent triumphantly. I thought you did a great job in transitioning between different time periods in the story and enjoyed your use of dialogue, which gave the story more character. I did run across a couple grammatical errors in the beginning that slightly interrupted the flow of the story, but other than that you did a great job in putting this story together. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Taylor! This was amazing! I really liked that Kushinada was unwilling to be a sacrifice. However I was unsure about a few things. Why was sending her sandal down the river like a magical invitation for Susanoo? In the original, he found it by chance, right? So how was her last option/grand plan to hope someone would find her shoe and be a decoy? I also wondered why she didn't want revenge on the monster who killed her sisters. Instead she just kind of treated it like a horse. And until reading your author's note, I didn't realize she stole Susanoo's job. This is a really cool concept, but I thought from your story that she just went joyriding in the sky after she enslaved the dragon/snake. I did like that you hinted at a romance angle, which I'm always down for. Overall I really liked your story, and I think I'll read the rest of yours even though I don't need to leave comments.

    ReplyDelete