Wednesday, January 18, 2017

week 1 story: an aesop through trading cards



 


When the trend swept through Van Buren Elementary School, it hit Cory Fillmore’s classmates with fervor: Pokemon cards. Three quarters of the twenty-eight kids in his class could be found trading Shellders for Caterpies on the playground only a week after the cards had begun circulating among the older kids, but Cory couldn’t find the enthusiasm that had infected his friends. Instead, he stayed in the fourth-grade classroom during recess, grappling with a much more mature emotion: bitterness. 

“When I brought booster packs to school, Sharon and Ryan made fun of me,” he complained when questioned by the teacher. “Now they don’t even remember it.” 

A few days passed this way—an eternity for a fourth-grader—before another student caught on. One day, halfway through recess, the classroom door squeaked open and a scarlet-haired head poked through.

“Hi, Cory.”

“Hi, Fay.”

“What are you doing?” Fay asked. 

“Nothing.”

She scooted a chair over to the desk beside him. “What’s that?” she asked, pointing to purple card near the edge of his sorted piles. 

“It’s a Grimer. It’s poison-type. It evolves into this one,” he explained, pointing to a different purple card with a similar monster.

Fey fell silent for a few minutes, watching Cory count, sort, and recount his cards. She spoke again after his cards were completely laid out. “So you know a lot about Pokemon cards?”

“I guess,” he said. “I started collecting them from my older sister three weeks ago.” 

“Wow! You’re like an expert, right?”

Cory nodded, his cheeks heating up. 

“Could you tell me what some of mine are? I just like trading, but I don’t know how rare they are.” Fay fanned her cards out on the desk. There were about two dozen, and several duplicates. “Are any of these good?”

“This one.” Cory pointed to a blue card. “Pidgeot is kind of rare. I have a lot of Pidgeottos, but not a Pidgeot.”

“What about this one?”

He shook his head. “The white ones are normal-type. They’re not as good, because that’s the most common type.”

Fay’s gaze wandered over to his stack. “Like this one?” she asked, pressing her finger to a white card of his. Pictured was a cartoonish dragon-like monster with its paw in its mouth. 

“That’s…”

“Isn’t it a Dragonite?” Fay’s eyes sparked.

“Yeah, it’s a good card.”

“But it can’t be that good. You said white cards aren’t as good as colorful ones, right? I mean, you would know. You got your cards before all of us, we should be the ones trading with you because you have the best collection.”

Cory nodded slowly. “I do have a lot more cards.”

“You said you didn’t have a Pidgeot, right? I’ll trade you mine for it. They you’ll have one.”

Cory agreed. After the trade, Fay ran outside and was greeted with oohs and ahhs. Her classmates clustered around her to look at the new super-rare card they had never seen before. 

Meanwhile, Cory remained inside, tucking his new card in with the rest. He couldn’t wait to show his sister.

~

Author’s Note: This short story is based off of Aesop’s "The Fox & The Crow," where the moral is to never trust a flatterer. The fox (in my story, Fay) sees the crow (Cory) with a piece of cheese (Pokemon card) in its beak. The fox approaches the crow and asks the crow to share her voice, because he thinks the crow’s voice “must surpass that of other birds.” The crow opens her beak to sing, letting the cheese slip, and the fox makes off with it.

I originally set out to write a more straightforward version of the fable with human characters, one of whom uses flattery to steal the other’s watch and cuff links, but it felt flat and boring. Instead, I ended up writing a story about how kids are jerks to each other by using something from my childhood—Pokemon cards. People used to goad me into trading away my good cards. I wasn’t a savvy child.

Bibliography. “The Fox & The Crow” from The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs. Web Source.
Image: "Fake Pokemon cards from Chinatown" by Matthew Willis. Source.

4 comments:

  1. Taylor, I love your interpretation of the story. It also hit home as I collected Pokémon cards as well and would always have someone try to trick me out of my rare or valuable cards. Sadly, that is how society is and you see it daily, even when it comes to school. Although with college it would be homework or notes, not Pokémon cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I admire how you incorporated Pokemon throughout the story. This brings back my childhood memories with my conniving siblings. I am glad you did not write about watches and cuff links because that would not be nearly as fun to read. It is a little disheartening to think about how children (and even adults) hoax each other, but it does happen a great deal in society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job adapting a story into something that really hit home with me. For me, that fox was my older brother. Why wouldn't I trust the guy I looked up to? Well now I know better... It's interesting to see this kind of behavior in children because it's not necessarily taught to them. Maybe there's some deep philosophical reason, or maybe some little kids just suck. On a side note, I come from a town near another town named "Van Buren", so it definitely took me back home in my mind from the start of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome modern adaption to the original fable. I read this fable earlier this year and thought it served as a good lesson to learn. Your choice to use Pokemon trading cards (with Pokemon Go being so popular) was smart. It seems like you also have some real life knowledge on the subject, so that made it more realistic when they were talking about the trades. If I had tried, it would have been superficial (I used to love trading cards, but I've forgotten most of the names because it's been so long).

    ReplyDelete