Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Week 2 Storytelling: Persephone Captures Hades

Eros polished his sacred arrows as he lounged on his favorite Sicilian hillside, one of many that rolled out of the distant Hyblaean mountains. He watched over a group of young women who had snagged his sights as they played among the wildflowers. The heart of one particular girl, his godly eyes observed, had ripened nearly to bursting into loving bloom more colorful than the flowers that enthralled her. She was radiant and sun-kissed, her skin darkened by the sun and long tresses lightened by it.

“Mother,” he asked the sculpturesque figure lounging on the hillside beside him, “who is that maiden?”

With a glance at the meadows below, Aphrodite answered, “That is Persephone, the daughter of fruit-bearing Demeter, and of our most esteemed Zeus.” This last part was said with a note of sarcasm.

“She is unwed.”

“By her own volition. She desires to keep her virginity, as Athena and Artemis have.” Aphrodite sighed prettily, laying her gilded head back into the grass. “They all forsake me and my freely-given gift of love! It’s no wonder Zeus and the others mock me. My domain is shrinking.”

The gears in Eros’ head turned. As she was, Persephone lacked the experience necessary to bear the affections of the other gods--Eros would not recklessly turn his arrows in their direction. The love in Persephone's heart would wilt before it had a chance to flourish. But the girl herself was highborn and much more powerful than she looked—the daughter of the king of the gods and the goddess who commanded the earth itself to put forth its yearly harvest.

And so, Eros undid his quiver and nocked one of his thousand arrows. On bent knee, he let it fly, straight into Persephone’s heart.

In her surprise, the flowers Persephone had gathered fell from her arms and scattered. She searched her hands for spider-bites or briars, but found none. What was that jolt of pain?

At that moment, she heard the voice of her friend Cyane calling out to her from the glade at the edge of the meadow. Eros watched Persephone make her way into the tangle of trees, satisfied that his plan was working.

~

At the same moment, Hades was dismounting his chariot to let his horses drink from the glade's water. Cyane surfaced to greet him.

“What brings you to the overworld, Your Highness?” she asked.

“Impulse, mostly,” he said, patting one horse fondly. “I was just passing by on my way to Olympus, and I thought I heard someone call me.”

He heard Persephone approach before he had a chance to see her—and by then, it was too late.

Thick vines burst from the ground and wrapped themselves around his arms. His horses reared back in shock as their master was dragged deeper into the trees by a force unknown, until Persephone appeared. She walked with an even gait past the pond.

Cyane cried out, “Wait! What are you doing? You can't take him against his will. What has compelled you to do this?”

Persephone said, “Just impulse.”

~

Hypnos and Thanatos, sons of the night herself, stood before Zeus. Their great wings and worn robes were no less dark than the rage that clouded their faces.

Hypnos called, “Our king, Hades, no longer sits on his throne. My brother and I have searched through the skies and found him wandering through Cyane’s glade, trapped in a labyrinth of earth and flora. Your own daughter imprisons him there!”

From another corner of Zeus’ Olympian court, Aphrodite appeared, seafoam at the hem of her dress and a smirk on her features. “It was Eros’ work. Do you all understand? With my power, even a maiden has the power to hold the King of the Underworld captive.”

“What Eros did is not against the law,” Zeus said. “Hades can solve his own problems. If you truly wish to return him to the underworld, know this: Persephone’s power over him grows each time the food grown from the Earth touches his lips.”

~

Persephone watched over Hades as he wandered through the green maze she had constructed from thorns and loam. He was not alarmed so much as curious. These were colors and smells he had long forgotten while on his throne. Each turn through the maze gave him a variety of flora to marvel at. Eventually, he found his way to the center of the maze, where Persephone stood waiting. Her eyes were as curious as his.

“Where have I been brought?” Hades asked. “I hardly recognize these plants. They smell so appetizing, but look so strange.”

“They are my most loyal followers,” Persephone said. She plucked several sprigs from the surrounding foliage, each with a taste as strong and distinct as the last. Slyly, she offered him twelve pieces. He picked up the first, a leaf of mint, and chewed it delicately until he could taste the sap.

“It's good.”

And so, to Persephone’s delight, he continued tasting as many flavors as he could. He was on the sixth herb, watercress, when a sudden loud squawk interrupted them. Hades turned to see two black crows. With a shake of their feathers and another disgruntled squawk, the pair took to the air again.

Hades said, “I recognize those two--Thanatos and Hypnos. They’ll be needing me in the underworld.”

But the food he had tasted had already begun to affect him. He gazed at Persephone, forgetting the caws of the two crows circling overhead.

Zeus was pleased with his daughter’s cunning scheme; however, it was his responsibility to intervene. For each spice Hades had tasted, Zeus said, Persephone could keep him for a month. During the other months, Hades and Persephone would tend to their responsibilities.

This is why there are six months of cold weather followed by six months of warmth and abundance—though sometimes, springtime storms demonstrate Persephone's displeasure at being separated from her lover.


Author's note:

The main goal with this story was to tell a long story with short scenes. The original story involves Hades kidnapping Persephone against her will. This story changes the catalyst--instead of Hades' heart, Eros' arrow pierces Persephone's instead--and explores how the original tale would change with this reversal. I worked around a few fixed plot points from the original; the love arrow, Cyane's involvement, and Zeus' intervention are the main ones.

It was fun to come up with details that would make this story work. Persephone's traps fit her domain as a goddess of spring, so plenty of  vines, thorns, and other things that grow. Instead of a pomegranate, she feeds Hades spices. I also enjoyed giving Persephone more agency. Instead of being carried away and accidentally condemning herself to the underworld by eating the food there, she uses her powers to progress the story, and hopefully her association with Zeus and Demeter is made stronger. Since she represents spring, I think she should represent the more violent aspects of the season--wind, storms, floods--just as much as the well-known aspects, like abundant flora.

Hades is one of my favorite Greek gods, and this is one of his more famous myths. He's done some questionable things, but not nearly as many as his brothers Zeus or Poseidon. So, I wanted to write Hades as more laid-back and curious, since he doesn't often visit the overworld.

Edits, 2/18: Research and Learn, Author's note, Start Strong/End Strong

Sources:
Parts 2-4 from Ovid's Metamorphoses translated by Tony Kline
Wikipedia: Map of Sicily

Image:
Pixabay: Marble goddess statue

18 comments:

  1. Whoa, I loved this. The title was the first thing that caught my interest because I was kind of excited for the role reversal. Honestly, when Persephone just said it was her impulse, my eyebrows shot up and I kind of had a "nice, you go girl" moment :^). It shows that you're a writer; the story is really smooth and your attention to detail is great! The way you rewrote this into your own story is wonderful and you did an amazing job changing the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you broke up the story. It definitely helps with getting in more information across. Greek mythology can be hard to read since it it so long. I have not heard of this story and believe you did a good job of making it into your own without losing some of the points.
    I like the sass you added to the story with the "just impulse" line. Great writing! can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you broke up the story into small pieces too. It made it easy to read. I also like the fact that you made Persephone capture Hades, since the original was the opposite. I think role reversals can be fun to read. I haven't read the original story but I think I'm going to try to find the time this week, because I like your story and I'd like to see where the inspiration came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, to begin, your story is awesome! You did a great job transforming the story into something spectacular. Its great how you turned it around on its head in every way, fist by making Persephone an active force rather then a passive one, and secondly by making more about love then lust. There are a few small problems I found, but they are primarily nitpicking more than anything else. The sentence "... as they played among the wildflowers—a particular one, he recognized, had a heart full of..." is a run on. You could fix this ending the sentence at Wildflowers and starting a new one. Also if you changed it from "a particular one, to one in particular, it would improve flow- but that is just a suggestion. Secondly the sentence "..daughter of the king of the gods and, the goddess who commanded.." does not need a comma. I would suggest rephrasing your other hyphenated sentence to remove the hyphen, just to help improve general flow. Finally, there was one part I had to reread several times to get what you were saying, that was when Zeus was talking, if you could find a way for him to rephrase his point, it might help, or it might just be me? Good luck, I think you have a really spectacular piece here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Taylor! I loved the way you wrote this story! The imagery and descriptions were wonderful! One thing maybe to work on next time is that this story seemed to jump around a lot so I found myself re-reading parts trying to follow along. I do not think that this was particularly your fault as the story has so many characters you had to incorporate, but I just would have liked more description on who the characters were as I did not read the original story and so I did not originally know who Eros was! Once again though the story did capture my eye and I loved how you reversed the roles where Persephone was the one holding Hades captive! Girl Power!Overall I think that with a little practice with the flow of your stories they will be amazing and so fun to read! Good job and can't wait to see how the stories progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor- I absolutely love this story. I think it's especially nice because I think this is a well-known story, so it's funny to hear the reversal of it and I think it's something that most everyone will readily recognize. I particularly loved your descriptive imagery and tone for the conversations. I'm honestly struggling to think of anything that I'd recommend for you to think about in telling future stories. I love how you split up the story into small scenes; I think this is an interesting storytelling technique that tells a lot without saying too much. I think you did a very good job with your word choices for this story as well, it seems easy to read, but also seems to stay true to the original story. I really think you did an absolutely incredible job telling this story, and I like your theme of “story reversals;” I think that this’ll be interesting to continue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taylor, nice story! After reading your portfolio's overview, I knew this would be an interesting read. I found it funny that the other gods don't like Zeus too much, as your story's sarcasm would suggest. Also, it was intriguing to find out in your story that the domain of love was failing. If anything, I figured love would always be around... or maybe that's just lust?
    Anyway, I was thinking what if Persephone blocked Eros' arrow?? How would that end up affecting the story? Although I don't know how this would work exactly considering that your stories are the reversal of the original stories.
    A couple of other details that I liked was your choice of spices in substitution of the pomegranate and the fact that Hades seemed to be enjoying his captivity by Persephone. With that being said, I was wondering how/what Hades minions would do in order to help free Hades? Or if they even had any power to do anything in the first... Just some suggestions and feedback that I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this story! It was such a good twist on the myth. I love how you create Persephone to be the one who goes after Hades, and I also love how you still manage to keep the key elements of the original story, like how Persephone's flowers fall, how Zeus is confronted with the issue, and how the food causes the person to stay. You added these beautifully, but still made it your own and it doesn't feel forced or awkward. It feels as though they are your own ideas. I love your opening with Eros and I also love how you wrote Hades in such a positive light. He is one of my favorites and is so underrated or often thought of as evil.
    As this is meant to be feedback, I do have a few questions and comments about the story. First of all, why would Persephone not be able to bear the affection of a god if she's a goddess? I'm not sure this paragraph makes much sense, so if you could elaborate on this, that would really help. Also I am wondering, where did this "call" to Hades come from? Did Eros specifically make Persephone fall in love with Hades, or was he trying to bring Hades because he thought he would be the best candidate? That's just something I think you could explain. Lastly, is Hades in love with Persephone? Or is it more enchantment? I just thought this could be more clear, no matter which direction you are going for. Of course, me being a romantic, would love it if Hades fell in love with Persephone on his own, without the aid of the herbs, but that just depends on how you want to write the story. Still, I loved the story and I really love the way you write. It is so vivid. Really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Role reversal is played with nicely here, and I enjoy how you intertwine the story with the cycles of nature to make the conclusion more meaningful. You also make a remark with Thanatos and Hypnos about their clothes being as grim as their expressions, which I think would make your other characters more expressive.

    There were some plot elements I ended up being confused about as I read. Such as Eros' motive for shooting Persephone, Zeus' pleased reaction, and how it was Aphrodite's plan all along. Making these story elements clearer will make the plot flow more uninterrupted.

    Another thing that I feel will help the flow is some word choice. There are a few words like "sculpteresque," "sighing prettily," and "overworld" that made me stop and wonder what they actually meant, and an omission of Eros' name when he states Persephone is unwed made me confused.

    A little bit of sentence arrangement can help, too. "In her surprise" seems like an odd way to start a particular paragraph. And I noticed one unnecessary use of a hyphen, but the paragraphs are a good size for each idea conveyed.

    I wonder if you could also include more elements that relate to the ending message of the story? Maybe some evidence of how Hades brings the cold and the springtime storms representing Persephone's anger? I think it'll make the conclusion even more impactful.

    An interesting role reversal, and some minor retooling to the diction and plot will could make it even better, I feel. Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this story, instead of Hades kidnapping her in this case it was the other way around. You changed it a lot and it made the story that much fun to read. You even showed how the seasons came to be and how it is cold for 6 months for each herb he ate and how the other 6 months it is warm. She wanted him all to herself but because of Zeus and the other two it was not possible. How did Hades get called to earth where she was. I get how Persephone wanted Hades but I do not understand how he would have been attracted to the earth and towards her. You always hear about guys kidnapping girls especially in the Greek stories but you switched it up and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Taylor,
    I enjoyed how you described Persephone with such details in the beginning. The title caught my eye the most. The different emotions and characteristics you incorporated throughout the story was a nice touch. Sarcasm and sass is always fun to see. What if Hade was in more despair and Persephone was even sassier?
    On a different note I had no idea what a quiver was, so I could not help but look that up. If you could possibly go into more details about the quiver and his arrows that would be a little helpful. I did get confused at some of the different sections of the story. However, in the end they did all come together and make more sense. I wonder if there is a way to make it more cohesive throughout.
    Despite my critiques, you did a great job at turning this story around! It was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Taylor,
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I think that you did a great job changing the story around and finding the right details to fill the gaps. The only thing that truly bothered me was how confused I was while reading the story. I found myself having to go back and re-read certain parts of the story to understand what was happening. It was difficult to keep track of the flow of the story. Maybe you could try to add some clarification to the story or work on the organization of the story a bit. Otherwise, once again great job! I can't wait to see what other stories you post throughout the semester! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked the part where Eros and his mother, Aphrodite, are lounging in the grass; it is a very human action and I like the image it creates for the characters. The gossipy quality to the interactions between mother and son are delightful, and I especially like how Aphrodite sarcastically mentions Zeus! I also smiled at the part when Persephone repeats Hades’ words, this part of the story is where I got invested!

    I love how the tables have turned!

    I was confused why Aphrodite showed up when Thanatos and Hypnos spoke with Zeus to defend her son’s scheming. I would suggest including Eros in the scene because it would continue the flow of the story and would be interesting to see his reasoning.

    I would also suggest going deeper in Hades’ feelings about Persephone; I felt it was the only scene in the story that was missing. Persephone’s feelings seem obvious to me, but maybe you could put in a subtle line about his growing feelings for her. I think it would tie the story together nicely.

    Your story was entertaining and I enjoyed the twist you gave to the story! I am looking forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Taylor, I really like the role swap you gave to this story! One detail I noticed is that you used spring-like imagery throughout the story, which I really enjoyed. In addition, I like that you switched the pomegranate to the various spices. I think it just added to the whole "spring" swap.
    One thing that I am curious about is how Hypnos and Thanatos played into the story. It seemed like they just appeared out of necessity. I would like to see what background context you could come up with for that part. I also think it could potentially be worth it to explore more of the labyrinth; what all did Hades encounter? Finally, I think it would be worth it to further explain the reason for the seasons. It's a story that really is about explaining why the seasons are the way they are, yet you just throw in that part within the last sentence. Regardless, I like your retelling of this story. I hope you continue to try swapping roles in other stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was awesome! I have always loved the idea of this myth at the very least, but I hated Persephone's passive role of just allowing herself to be kidnapped and kept. I loved that you not only made her into a kind of badass, but you also created at least some fondness between the pair. However, I was a little confused as to Eros's role and why he shot Persephone in the first place, but I liked Aphrodite complaining about her domain's size and then bragging about her powers. You did a pretty lovely job of balancing all of your minor characters in this story, although I was a little confused about Cyane's role.
    Hands down my favorite parts were Persephone entombing Hades in vines and him curiously roaming the maze. I really liked the laid back version of Hades you created. He was very fun and interesting. I think that you have done a really good job transforming this myth. I only wish there wasn't a word limit so that you could write even more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your descriptions in the beginning were through and captivating. I enjoyed Aphrodite’s comments about her “gift of love.” Your character development was thorough and helped me understand the story better. I had never thought about a “love” arrow being painful, so I was intrigued when she was wondering about the pain that hit her. I loved the “just impulse” line that was repeated. It made me smirk when Persephone said it. The dialogue was very well written. Aphrodite’s personality was displayed well through her words and actions. At first, I thought I understood what was happening, but I got confused as to what was happening between Hades and Persephone and why she was doing what she was doing. The author’s note helped explain a lot. You were very creative in your usage of Persephone’s nature as a binding for Hades. I think there could be more clarification during the story, but overall, it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember reading a story about persephone and hades when I was in high school. I can't remember what it was, but I remember that I really liked it. You did a nice job with this story. I liked the dialogue you used, as it helped develop the characters and helped me understand the story better because of it. I noticed that your story is divided up by the symbol ~, and I can't help but wonder if using three asterisks might help divide it up better. Like this, * * *. This signals to the reader that there is a break and/or a new chapter about to begin. The last recommendation that I have for your well-written story is separating the dialogue from the storyline. At times I found myself getting caught up in the dialogue and then getting lost because it went right back to the storyline. Just hitting enter and separating the dialogue will help. Again, very nice story. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Taylor, you did a great job rewriting this story. Initially, the title of the passage grabbed my attention. Most people know Persephone as Hades' lover; however, in your story, you've empowered Persephone and allowed her to imprison Hades. You stemmed beyond the normal damsel in distress story, which I enjoy. The imagery that you have incorporated into the story is amazing. Every description you included into the story was purposeful and advanced the plot. I could really "see" the story unfolding especially when Hades was being captured and tied down with the vines. Furthermore, your description about the maidens at the beginning of the passage was very metaphorical and intriguing. You really understood the idea of describing a goddess. At the end, I like how you tied the stories around into one complete ending with explanation of the seasons. I had to do a similar project in high school that called for me to come up with a mythological story that explained why certain human aspects occur. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete