Monday, April 10, 2017

Week 12 Storytelling: Nimue Seizes Excalibur


In marble walls as white as milk,

Lined with skin as soft as silk,

Within a fountain crystal clear,

A golden apple doth appear;

No doors there are to this stronghold,

Yet thieves break in and steal the gold.


Nimue lifted her eyes from the book of riddles and looked at Merlin expectantly.

“What?” he asked.

“Well, guess the answer.”

He sighed, resting his chin on hands clasped together. The pair lounged by the low outer wall bordering Merlin’s hometown of Carmarthen. Merlin’s back rested against the brown cobblestone while Nimue lay across the top, the breeze carrying her loose hair just far enough to tickle Merlin’s ear every few minutes. A book lay on her chest, which she lifted periodically to read aloud from.

Merlin jiggled his leg for a minute, staring off into the distance.

Finally, Nimue pushed herself up to sit. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m just thinking.”

“You’re not thinking about the riddle, are you? You would’ve guessed it already.”

Merlin half-shrugged.

“Did you have another vision?” Nimue slipped down to sit beside him. Her book, forgotten, fell over the other side of the wall with a dull thud. “What was it about?”

“My death.”

“Oh.” That was so much more serious than his regular visions of meeting knights and finding treasure. “What are you going to do?”

“I think I know something I can do to keep myself alive for now. But I just don’t want to do it.”

“I can help. Just tell me what to do.”

“Okay, I’ll think about it. Do you still have that old sword we found by the river?”

“Sure. I’ve been polishing it.”

“Bring it to the lake down east of here.” He paused. “An egg.”

“Huh?”

“That’s the answer to the riddle. An egg.”

~

The chill of winter had long since set in, but Arthur’s own court in Camelot was not so deeply frozen as this glade.

“Has it always been this way?” Arthur asked Merlin, holding his arm in front of his face to block the sharp wind as the pair dismounted their horses and approached the lake’s edge.

“Not as long as I remember,” Merlin answered.

The flowers that, Merlin recollected, had been on all sides of the lake were now long buried under a frozen white sheet. The long grass that had swayed at the water’s lapping edge was now whipped by the blizzard that swirled around them. The lake that stretched out before Merlin and Arthur was the same one Merlin had come to forty years ago with Nimue—he could see its same shape, how it was framed by the same trees, but now their barren branches were spindly and crippled by ice. Frozen over by cobalt-blue ice, the lake’s surface was marbled with arctic white. A single shape jutted up from the ice: the sword Nimue and Merlin had enchanted together. Excalibur.

“That’s the sword you promised?”

Merlin nodded, swallowing dread. If only he hadn’t made that promise to Arthur’s father when the boy had been born. “Mind what I told you about what’s under the ice.”

The pair bravely made their way across the crackling surface of the lake, but Merlin hung back as Arthur’s bare hands closed around Excalibur’s silver hilt.

This sword was not as easily dislodged as the sword in the stone had been. This sword was embedded into the ice as though there were some force underneath keeping it there. Arthur stood on the ice for minutes. The young king’s determined growls grew in volume until Merlin couldn’t discern whether it was the ice rumbling and crackling, or Arthur himself. Finally, with one final pull, he wrenched the blade free.

To Merlin’s horror, the blade was not the only thing liberated from the ice. Shocked, Arthur let go of Excalibur’s hilt and stumbled backwards, barely catching himself on the slippery ice.

Attached was a black, frostbitten hand clamped around the frosty blade like a vice. From a rupturing crack in the ice rose the form of a woman, frostbite staining her arms and feet. Her frayed dress whipped around her ankles like a snowstorm, and then suddenly the wind died down.

“My Lady of the Lake!” Arthur called. His voice echoed in the still air. “I pray you tell me who owns this sword. I wish her permission to take it.”

Her eyes remained closed, but Merlin recognized her. She hadn’t changed, hadn’t aged a day since he had sealed her into the lake with that old sword now imbued with magic. “The sword belongs to me,” she answered, “and I will give it to you, if you grant me something in return.”

“By my faith, whatever you ask,” Arthur answered.

“I want the blood of the man who betrayed me. Merlin.”

Arthur’s eyes widened, then narrowed. “Merlin is one of my dearest friends! You’ll never have him as long as I—”

Merlin put his hand on Arthur’s shoulder. “My boy, you don’t stand a chance. Let me go. I’ll get you the sword.”

As he approached, she watched him with frigid poise. The only thing about her that marred the memory of his childhood friend was the black frostbite that covered her like a shadow.

“You must have known time would bring you back to me,” she said.

He nodded, humbled. “A little more time was all I needed. I saw it in that vision—you would have been the death of me.”

As she let the sword fall, Nimue wrapped her arms around Merlin and whispered, “We will see who escapes death this time.”

And she pulled him under the ice, where it crackled and sealed itself shut, locking them both under the frozen lake once more.



Author's note:

In the original story, the Lady of the Lake gives Excalibur to Arthur and Merlin in exchange for a favor, but doesn't tell him what she wants yet. Later on, she ends up learning a sealing spell from Merlin and uses it to seal him away.

 I knew I wanted to write a story about the Lady of the Lake, but wasn't sure what her role should be. She's usually a force for good in other Arthurian works, so I thought it would be interesting to make her a villain. I drew on a few other stories where Nimue causes Merlin's death, but wanted to make it much more deliberate.

I want to take a week or two to revise the story and make the following changes: add a scene where Merlin and Nimue enchant the sword, or perhaps forge it; give young Merlin more time to agonize over the decision of sealing Nimue away to prevent his death; provide a reason for Arthur to need the sword, and thus a reason for Merlin to sacrifice himself; re-read the source stories to make this story a more proper and specific reversal.

Sources:

Image:

6 comments:

  1. I love the myths of King Arthur and I really like your reversal! I've always wondered why the Lady of the Lake wanted to seal Merlin away especially since she seems so helpful earlier. Your version definitely explains it so well and works really well with her as the villain. I love your descriptions too! The line about the black frostbite like a shadow was amazing! I feel so bad for Nimue, but that was so well written. I like the foreshadowing with Merlin seeing his own death with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this story! I had no idea where it was going and what was going to happen! I have not read the original story, but I loved reading yours! It was very entertaining and engaging! I was sad to see that Merlin got trapped with the Lady of the Lake, but that is a better fate than outright dying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Taylor!

    I think you did a really good job with this story! I was drawn in from the very beginning and you definitely kept me engaged the whole time! You have a really nice way of incorporating dialogue into your story so that it feels very natural and like it was written by a very experienced author, so well done with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Taylor,

    First, the selection of the King Arthur lore is certainly a good choice for drawing in potential readers, like myself, to become interested in a new story that I would otherwise have no connection to. I actually read King Arthur as my reading assignment for this week and can certainly see elements of the original tale here in your story, one that I found a pleasure to read. The opening of the story with a riddle was certainly a choice that I have not yet seen in this course, but it was one that I did enjoy. I must say I certainly was curious if the answer to the riddle would ever be given later on in the story, and I think you included the answer in the perfect way. The additional details that were added aside from the conversation being held between Merlin and Nimue provided greater depth for the overall story. The ending to the story was certainly a twist on the original, but one that I actually found myself fonder of than the original. Great Story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An egg!
    The riddle introducing the story is an interesting choice, but I really like the aura it gives the rest of the story – and the first line after the riddle was almost lovingly and gave me chills. Maybe that’s because I read your authors note first, but still – it was so good!
    I have not read the legends of Arthur or Merlin, so I am not familiar with the character Nimue. I don’t know what to think!
    Your transition was hard to understand and I did not realize that four decades had passed until I was told. I loved the description of Nimue coming out of the lake and clinging to the sword as Arthur dragged it up. I think it would have added an element of revenge if you had described her like you did her hand – frostbitten. I think it would add a different level to their relationship if you had described how the lake had changed her appearance: waterlogged, dripping wet hair, greenish, frostbitten and etc. and despite how much the decades had changed her Merlin still recognized her.
    Your ending was so satisfying; the way Merlin simply accepted it. I wonder if he regrets sealing her to the sword/lake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited to read a story based on the legends of King Arthur! And yours was amazing I have to say. I love what you did with this story and I think this would be a great story to expand on. I want to hear more about Merlin's life. You did so well at creating the great dynamic that Nimue and Merlin have. I love your dialogue, although I think at times it sounds a little too modern, but that could be easily fixed. Other than that, your dialogue is really great. In the first scene, I don't completely understand how Nimue and Merlin are positioned. I'm trying to picture it and it doesn't make much sense. If she's on the wall, and he has his back on the wall, how are the looking at each other? Perhaps you could explain that a little better for people like me who are slow. After reading the whole story, it's really sad what happened to Nimue and Merlin. They seemed to have such a great relationship that I'm sad to see it ended, although I like your version better than her getting annoyed with him and trapping him under a rock like the stories I've read.
    For the second scene, I think you should make it clear how much time has past since the first scene, since I was a little confused at what was happening until I finished the story and realized what happened to Nimue.
    What does Arthur mean, has it always been this way? Could you explain his confusion more? Is the weather not usually so bad? I really like your description of Arthur pulling the sword from the ice. You did a really great job of describing it. It's very vivid. In the end, I like the irony of how, no matter how hard he tried, Nimue was still the death of him. I really enjoyed what you did with the story, and I actually really want to read more stories like that. You did really great at twisting the story while still keeping the same elements from the original. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete